Mom-Hacked Braised Beef Short Ribs
You know me...if life would let me (I.e., kids, hubby, dog...) I would be whipping up Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon on the daily. BUT I ain’t got six uninterrupted hours. So in my usual fashion....I ask how can I get all the flavor more efficiently (lazy is key to innovation). So here you go....my take. This is 2 1/2 hours, start to finish. But only 20 mins hands on. The rest is for your oven to work it’s magic. The best part...it tastes better the next day.
- 4 lbs bone-in grass-fed beef short ribs
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 T grass-fed butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups red wine (beef broth or beer works!)
- 2 to 4 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Over Medium high, heat 1 T olive oil and butter in Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed oven proof pot. Get it hot just to butter browning.
- Brush short ribs with 1 T olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown short ribs. Be patient! Leave alone 6-7 mins before turning so they get wonderful.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice shallots and mince garlic. Turn heat to medium and add to pot. Let onions and garlic soften. About 5 mins.
- Add 3 cups of liquid and bring to a simmer. Add thyme. Cover and cook low and slow for 2 1/2 hours.