Basil Pesto Meatloaf
I make meatloaf quite a bit. Partly because it has a funny family history: My Mom’s first home cooked meal for my Dad was meatloaf and it was inedible, but he smiled and CHEWED (and chewed). He told me he loved her so much she was worth a life of eating poorly (she became a great cook and her meatloaf was fabulous). On my first date with my husband, he ordered a huge dinner of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He overate and was absolutely miserable. Mostly, I make meatloaf because its a dinner I bring to the table that everyone eats with no complaints. Praise.
1 T olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs ground beef (grass fed)
1/4 -1/2 c pesto, plus extra for topping https://www.fuelbodyfeedsoul.com/blog/2018/8/8/basil-walnut-pesto?rq=Pesto
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 -3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 t pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350. Oil a shallow casserole or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Heat for 1 minute. Add onions and cook until softened 5-8 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent browning.
3. Add garlic to onions. Cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn off heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, pesto, rolled oats, egg, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
5. Add onions and garlic. Mix to combine.
6. Form into a loaf and place in casserole or on baking sheet.
7. Bake 50-60 minutes or until done. Internal temperature 160 degrees.