One-Skillet Sausage, Potato and Egg Bake
Next level comfort food. Dinner. Lunch. Brunch. Breakfast. Seriously good anytime. Feeds a crowd or great leftovers for tomorrow. We like some heat, so typically use chorizo but any casing removed sausage will do.
You can also boil the potatoes the day before, store in the fridge and cut up the day of!
I serve with a toppings bar: fresh avocado or guac, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, chopped fresh tomatoes or pico, hot sauce...truly whatever you all love.
- 2 lbs potatoes (red, purple, Dutch baby, fingerling, Yukon), washed
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh chorizo, casings removed (or any other sausage).
- 1 large onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 T butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6-8 eggs, large
- Optional: fresh herbs, microgreens, red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper).
- Potatoes: Place in large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to simmer for 15-25 mins, until fork tender. Small red potatoes will take about 15 mins. Larger Yukons, longer.
- Remove from water. And allow them to cool. (You can boil a day ahead and store in the fridge until ready to dice).
- Preheat Oven to 375.
- Dice up cooled or cold potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add 1 T olive oil, allow it to heat for a minute or so. Add 1/2 of the diced onion, stirring occasionally, and cook until softened, about 5 mins. Add casing removed sausage and cook, breaking up and stirring as you go, for 6-8 mins. (Just until browned but not done). Remove sausage/onion mixture from skillet. Set aside.
- Turn heat to medium-high. Add remaining olive oil and butter to skillet. When melted, add diced potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until golden and crispy, stir once. Maybe twice. About 8 minutes. Add minced garlic. Give it a stir and then add sausage/onion mixture back to skillet.
- Turn off the heat. Make as many indentions as eggs you plan to use, 6-8. Crack eggs into indentions. Season each egg with a little salt and pepper. Carefully move skillet to middle rack of pre-heated oven.
- Bake about 10-12 mins. Until whites are just set and yolks are runny.
Enjoy with some great crusty bread or toast.